Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday Pickups 9/14/11

Fresh September continues with four new titles this week, as well four regular favorites. So let's get right to it:


We start in the X-world, with Uncanny X-Force #15. The Dark Angel Saga blazes on as Fantomex, Deadpool, and Deathlok may be all that stand in the way of global genocide; God help us all. Another spectacular issue from my favorite on-going title, Rememder's characters remain well written, while Opena's art never ceases to amaze. Only a few issues left in this storyline, and while I can't wait to see how it all shakes out at the same time, I really don't want it to end.

Heading off world, we catch up with X-Men Legacy #255. Magneto, Frenzy, Gambit, and Rogue continue their search for Havok and Polaris, but they might be getting in over their heads. While I do enjoy Mike Carey's story here, and not just because it is the gateway for some of my favorite X-ers to return regularly to X-books, Steve Kurth's pencils aren't exactly my cup of tea. I generally find myself not a fan of artist's whose face drawings come out strange or misshapen, and Kurth is no exception. That said, his action sequences are alright and do make the downsides tolerable. Overall, I am looking forward to where this title is heading and hopefully an artist change in the near future.

From Marvel, we head over to DC's Vertigo line with The Unwritten #29. Tommy and Lizzie get closer to unraveling the mystery of his father's journal with neither of them liking what they find. This great and original series continues with another solid issue. While I don't want to get into too many specifics and give anything away, one of the final scenes in this issue gets into some Marshall McLuhan ideology and offers a brilliant critique on the way the comic book industry has been run at times. A must read for long-time comics fans as well as those just getting into the medium.

Last up from Vertigo this week is, the penultimate issue of American Vampire: Survival of the Fittest #4 of 5. Cash and Felicia's covers are blown, so let the slaughter of Nazi vampires begin. Really enjoying this mini from Scott Snyder (writer) and Sean Murphy (artist), but that should come as no surprise since I love both of their work. While I was worried from last issue that this mini would end up trying to explain too much of this vampire world, Snyder has succeed in telling just enough to not get to far away from the main series roots and leave some question unanswered. In addition to that, Murphy's art really shines this issue as he gets to draw a lot more action that we've seen so far. Looking forward to the final issue, as the end of this one sets it up for a bloody conclusion.

Kicking off the new titles is Pigs #1 from Image Comics. Mischief and murder have forced a second generation KGB sleeper cell based in Cuba into action, and America authorities are left trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Superb story concept and execution by Nate Cosby and Ben McCool on this first issue. They paced the action and drama quite well in addition to ending with a cliffhanger that makes the wait for the next issue unbearable. My only complaint so far is Breno Tamura's art is a little rough for my taste, but I could see myself warming up to it as the book goes on. Always happy to support something that tries to tell an interesting story, and this title is no exception.

Going back to Marvel, for the third installment in their relaunched Ultimate line, we have Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1. In this first issue we meet Miles Morales, an average kid in New York, whose life is about to change forever in multiple ways. Stupendous start for Brian Michael Bendis (writer) and Sara Pichelli (artist)! This issue seems to have that perfect balance of being something original, with a new protagonist, and having the classic feel of a super hero origin story. I've been enjoying all the new titles from the Ultimate Comics line but so far this one is my favorite, although the last one to come in the one I'm most looking forward to.

Finishing out the week we have two of DC's new 52, and the first of those is Superboy #1. Scientists at a secret facility have combined the DNA of Superman and that of human to produce a clone with amazing abilities, but only time will tell if Superboy inherited his "father's" penchant for doing good. While I wasn't amazed by this first issue, I was surprised that I did like it and how well it was done. Written by Scott Lobdell and drawn by R. B. Silva, this first issue does a solid job of introducing the character and showing where he is coming from. One particular inclusion I liked, was that of Rose Wilson (aka Ravager pre-DC Reboot) who was beginning to be a romantic interest for him at the end of Teen Titans and might end up being one here, a nice nod to the readers that creator's haven't thrown everything out in the DCnU. I think the next issue will weight a little more on whether I will be picking this series up regularly, so I'm hoping for it to grab me a little more.

Last up, and barley edging out the new Spider-Man for pick of the week, is Red Lanterns #1 from DC Comics. Atrocitus and his blood thirsty red lanterns are back, but it seems their leader made have lost his taste for rage. Extremely impressive first issue from Peter Milligan and Ed Benes! While I was a little worried these characters wouldn't be able to hold their own title, Milligan has erased all doubt and Benes great art is just blood-red icing on the cake. I can't wait to see future issues getting to the core of these lantern's rage as is done for Atrocitus here and any additions Milligan makes the core. If you've grown a little tired of the event-centric Green Lantern books over the last few years, as I have, I think this book might be just what your looking for in the new DCU.

Another solid week of floppys in the books, and next week looks to continue the trend with a whole lot of appetising X-titles. See you back here in 7 days for some X-Men, X-Women, and maybe if we're lucky something X-rated.

No comments:

Post a Comment